Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Developing for Android

Mobile development isn’t new to me. I’ve been developing on Windows Mobile for three years now. Things have changed recently though. First there was the iPhone. It really started the consumer smartphone wave with its easy interface, big touch screen and most importantly, the App Store.

Now Android has joined the party. I have an Android phone, and HTC Desire, and I love it. It’s my first smartphone and I could never go back. The big advantage of Android for me is the freely available development tools and the open nature of the market. That said I also have an iPod Touch which is brilliant. After being a consumer of both the Apple App Store and the Android Market I have to say that Apple’s control doesn’t seem as bad as I first thought.

Over the past few months I have been taking my first tentative steps into Android development. I have eclipse, I’m picking up Java again, and I even have some Android books from Amazon. It’s time I get something published though. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment